Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Welcome to the Planet!

Luke Nathan Hanson arrived at 6:46 PM on Monday, May 14, 2007!
4 lbs. 13 oz.
18.5 inches
Cuteness Score: 11 (out of 10)



Luke wasn't due to arrive until June 1, but at Gretchen's routine checkup Monday afternoon the doctor noticed that she hadn't increased in size much since her last visit. They decided to do an ultrasound which revealed that the amniotic fluid was almost gone and the placenta was looking "a little old." Luke had not grown much during the last week or two.

Our doctor decided that there wasn't any benefit to leaving him in, so the best option would be to bring him out early by inducing labor. Gretchen called me at work and I hit the road (I drove a little faster than I should have).

During one of her longer contractions, Luke's heart rate dropped down into the 90s (normally 120 - 140). The doctor said that if it happened again they would opt for the c-section. Luke did really well for the next hour or so of contractions, but then his heart rate dipped again. All of a sudden it was go time.

I cannot tell you how nervous I was waiting to go into the operating room for my wife's surgery/son's delivery. Gretchen said they only made me wait 10 minutes, but it seemed like much longer. I just prayed. "The Lord is my strength" has never been more true for me.

I got to sit right behind Gretchen's head. The pain medication they gave her worked fine on the outside, but once they got inside her she felt a lot of pain. They started to adjust her meds, but Luke's heart rate was dropping again so the doctor said "I'd like to get this baby out." Gretchen scrunched up her nose, gritted her teeth, and took one (of many) for the team. They pulled and tugged and before long, Luke was among us!

All 4 pounds, 13 ounces of him screamed LIFE at the top of his lungs. They held him up for a quick photo, then took him over to the testing area where he scored very high on all his tests (that's what happens when both your parents are teachers).

Pretty soon we had him snuggled up like a little burrito and safe in our arms. He seems to be doing well. All the tests they have given him thus far say he is a healthy baby. We will be at the hospital for a few days since he was so small.

Gretchen is also doing well. She is healing up nicely from the c-section, and hasn't had too much pain. She is still moving slowly but is only needing ibuprofen for the pain at this point. She is amazing. I'll post some more pictures in a bit. God is good and Luke is cute.

More pictures below...





__________________________________________________________________

Luke and his mom


Grandma Hanson


Grandpa and Grandma Talmadge


Grandpa Hanson

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Welcome to the world Luke. Jonah will be so excited to meet you, as will your Uncle Justin and Aunt Stefanie. What a miracle!

Unknown said...

Luke is Really Cute!

and nice hat nate

__________________________ said...

Great Job to all involved. We are excited to have another little tyke to play with on all of the great family events and outings.

Hailey said...

Congrats! What a miracle that Luke has arrived! We will be praying for you all as you adjust to the crazy and wonderful changes that parenthood brings.

Gretchen . . isn't it amazing what you'll go through during labor/delivery just to make sure your baby is healthy. I'm so proud of you! You are an amazing woman!

Mark said...

Wow, Praise the Lord that you are all okay! What a beautiful boy. Can't wait to meet him some day soon.
Mark B.

Ashleigh said...

Hi Nephew Luke! I must say, you are one adorable and strong little guy! I can't wait to meet you in a few weeks!!! I love you so much already!!
And congrats to Nate for staying strong and trying to remain calm during this! And congrats to Miss Gretchen for being SUCH a fighter and pushing through the pain; UNBELEIVABLE!! That is why Mom's are so amazing!!! :)

Erica Riley said...

Congratulations Gretchen and Nate! Baby Luke is precious! We are all so excited to meet him! Cuddle and snuggle him as much as possible!!!!

Eddie Miles said...

Great job guys. Luke is cute. Obviously not as cute as Gabe and Ally, but pretty close. Just kidding.

Eddie and Christine

misty said...

wow you guys. i am so proud of both of you and so thankful god protected you and took care of you both. what a love your little boy looks like. i can't wait to meet him. miss you guys and love you.

Misty

misty said...

Wow you guys. I am so proud of both of you, and so thankful God took care of you. we love you guys and wish we could be there to enjoy your sweet baby boy. someday soon... Misty

Anonymous said...

Congrats to the two wonderful parents! Rest lots and enjoy every moment with your sweetie. God is sure awesome that he allows us to be parents--enjoy.
Praying for sleep for you both & a speedy recovery for you, Gretchen. Can't wait to meet Luke someday!
~Brandon, Sarah & Elizabeth V.